The RealWear HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1 headsets are not certified medical devices.
Rather, they are industrial devices, designed for rugged use in hazardous environments, and certified to meet IP66 standards for water and dust ingress. All discussion henceforth concern the cleaning of HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1 devices and their ability to withstand common cleaning processes. RealWear does not claim the HMT-1 or HMT-1Z1 devices can be sanitized, sterilized or disinfected.
Cleaning the HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1
Combining the IP66 certification and the ability of the housing to withstand 96% Ethanol, RealWear guidance is:
- HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1 devices may be wiped or sprayed with up to 96% alcohol.
- Comfort parts can cleaned by subjected to epoxy ethane vapor, or replaced with RealWear’s Flexbands. Flexbands are RealWear’s silicone ‘clean-room’ straps. Flexbands can be wiped with alcohol.
Follow these instructions for cleaning the different areas of the HMT-1 or HMT-1Z1:
- Exposure: Ensure that all covers are firmly secured when cleaning. The HMT should never be submerged. The HMT is water resistant so cleaning with a damp cloth and mild soap is appropriate.
- Alcohol Wipes: You may also use isopropyl alcohol wipes to clean and lightly sterilize the hard surfaces of the HMT. Dry surfaces or simply allow to air dry.
- Display and Camera Glass: Use a standard micro-fiber cloth to wipe off glass parts. You can use screen cleaner to enable the sharpest possible images.
- Fabric Parts: Under normal use the Overhead Strap and Rear Head Pad are expected to eventually wear down and need replacement. Replacement straps and pads can be purchased at http://shop.realwear.com. They may be cleaned with alcohol wipes, but excessive cleaning may accelerate wear.
- Battery: Should the battery become dirty, clean with a dry cloth alone or in combination with alcohol. If dirty, they may be cleaned with cloth, cotton swaps, toothbrush, and alcohol if needed. The contacts should not corrode. If the battery appears as all damaged, replace the battery immediately.
- Warranty: The battery must always be kept dry. An indicator on the battery housing will turn red if exposed to excessive moisture. If the indicator is red, the warranty is voided and the battery should be immediately disposed of properly.
Cleaning HMT Accessories
- Hardhat Clips: Hardhat mounting clips are made of plastic and can be cleaned with alcohol wipes or water. Tip: Toothpicks can be used to remove dirt in hard-to-reach areas.
- Tri-band Strap: The Tri-band Strap is comprised of plastic and fabric. It can be cleaned with alcohol wipes, but excess cleaning may accelerate wear. Replacement straps can be purchased at http://shop.realwear.com.
- Hearing Protection Ear Buds: The RealWear Hearing Protection Ear Buds are an electronic component with a metal connector, and cleaning of the buds themselves is not recommended. A polish with a dry or lightly damp cloth should be sufficient. Too much moisture could cause damage to the speakers.
- Foam Tips for Hearing Protection Ear Buds: The foam tips for the ear buds are comprised of memory foam. You may clean with a dry cloth. Too much moisture could damage the foam. The Foam Tips are considered consumables and are expected to eventually require replacing. Replacement parts can be purchased in the RealWear Store.
|Method ||RealWear Guidance |
|Wiped or sprayed with up to 96% alcohol. |
Comfort parts can by subjected to epoxy ethane vapor, or replaced with RealWear’s Flexbands. Flexbands can be wiped with alcohol.
|Epoxy ethane |
|Hydrogen peroxide |
|Gamma Radiation |
|E-Beam Radiation |
DOWNLOAD CLEANING GUIDE HERE.
IMPORTANT – FOLLOW ABOVE GUIDELINES OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE DEVICE.
Cleanbox is a premium, eco-friendly, smart-tech hygiene solution for the decontamination of AR, MR, VR and Communication headsets, eyewear, masks and other industrial hardware.
- Cleanbox eliminates the need for heat or toxins in the decontamination process, protecting electronics, the user and the environment.
- Cleanbox is independently lab tested to kill 99.99% of bacteria, virus and fungi in 60 seconds.
- Realwear has tested this device and has approved it for use with HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1.
For more information, visit the Cleanbox website.